Skip to Content

Sexual Assault Resources

If you are in immediate danger, call 911. If you are not in immediate danger, The Hays-Caldwell Women’s Center (HCWC) serves men, women and children who have experienced or, believe to be victims of, dating violence, sexual violence, sexual assault and child abuse in Caldwell County and Hays County in central Texas.

For additional support call the Rape Abuse and Incest National Network (RAINN) at 800-656-HOPE (4673)

Anyone, of any sex, race, ability, gender, gender identity, and gender expression can experience sexual assault. If you’ve been sexually assaulted—even if you are not sure—you can contact HCWC’s hotline or RAINN for free, confidential help day or night.

Expand or Collapse all.

24/7 Hotline - Click here to learn more

HCWC has a 24 hour hot line for anyone who has experienced or believes they have experienced dating violence, domestic violence, and/or sexual assault. All calls are completely anonymous and confidential.

HCWC's trained hot line operators are ready to provide you with resources or assistance. Everyone is welcome to call—not only survivors, but also their friends and family, as well as anyone with a question about sexual assault or how to support a survivor in their own lives.

For immediate, anonymous support call: 512.396.4357.

Hospitals - Click here to learn more

If you were assaulted less than 96 hours ago, there is still a chance to have a forensic exam to collect DNA evidence. Even if the window for a forensic exam has passed, medical attention may still be an important step if you are experiencing bleeding, physical discomfort or any other abnormal symptoms. Although they cannot collect forensic evidence, you can still file a police report if you so desire, though individuals do not have to file a police report to have an exam administered.

If a survivor chooses to go to the hospital for a forensic exam, they have the right to have state-certified advocate accompaniment. HCWC trains and sends out advocates to Hays and Caldwell County hospitals for survivors of sexual assault and family violence.

An advocate is dispatched when HCWC is contacted by the hospital telling them a survivor has arrived or is in route. The advocate will stay the duration of the exam and provide a number services to both the survivor and their friends and family who might have accompanied them.

Counseling - Click here to learn more

HCWC offers free counseling services to acquaintances, friends, family, partners of survivors, and anyone else who has been adversely affected by sexual violence. For questions or to make an appointment call 512-396-3404.

Texas State Counseling Center is available for students to talk to if you or someone you know has experienced dating violence, sexual violence, and/or sexual assault. All sessions are free and confidential to students. For questions or to make an appointment call 512-245-2208.

Both HCWC and Texas State Counseling Center offer counseling services in both English and Spanish.

Reporting to Police

University Police Department: UPD Website // 512.245.2890

San Marcos Police Department: SMPD Website // 512.753.2108

Title IX

Title IX of the Education Amendments Act of 1972 (Title IX) prohibits sexual discrimination in federally funded educational programs or activities. Under Title IX individuals are protected against discrimination based on sex.

Individuals can file a report for any of the following instances of sexual misconduct:

  • Sexual Assault
  • Dating Violence
  • Stalking
  • Sexual Harassment
  • Domestic Violence
  • Sexual Exploitation
  • Sexual Intimidation (Cyber-stalking, Indecent Exposure, etc.)

You can file a report for someone else. You can file a report anonymously. You can file a report using a pseudonym. If you or someone you know are interested in filing a formal complaint through the Title IX office please contact the Title IX Coordinator, Dr. Garcia, at 512.245.2539 or email Filing a report with Title IX opens up an academic investigation, not a criminal investigation. If individuals want to pursue a criminal investigation, they can contact Texas State Police Department or San Marcos Police Department.