All Student Health Center services are provided by appointment. All future and same-day appointments can be scheduled by calling 512.245.2161 to speak with an appointment clerk. Appointments can be made up to two weeks in advance.
NOTE: If you need to cancel or change your appointment, you must call 512.245.2161 at least two hours (24 hours for psychiatry) prior to your scheduled appointment time. You may also log on to the myBobcatHealth to cancel an appointment. When the Student Health Center is closed, please use myBobcatHealth to cancel online.
When you call:
- Be prepared to determine the best time for your appointment.
- Have a pen, something to write on, your calendar, class schedule and Texas State ID number.
- Be prepared to discuss your symptoms or the reason for the visit. If needed, take your temperature before you call. Please note that digital thermometers can be purchased at the Student Health Center.
The Student Health Center healthcare providers do not write class excuses for illness or injury. In rare instances where a student's future activity or class attendance may need to be limited for medical reasons, a medical note may be written at the discretion of the healthcare providers. (Texas State Student Handbook)
Students receive a walkout statement at checkout whenever a visit is made to see a healthcare provider, or when students purchase medication at the Pharmacy. Students can use the walkout statement to provide documentation of a visit to the Student Health Center for a professor or employer. The walkout statement will provide information about the nature of the visit and the date and time of the visit. The walkout statement is the document provided to students for use as a class or work excuse. Please click here
to view or print your statements in myBobcatHealth.
Currently enrolled students attending classes at the San Marcos campus pay a Medical Service Fee (MSF) each semester that gives them access to Student Health Center services. Students who take correspondence courses or who attend classes only at the Round Rock campus are also eligible for care at the Student Health Center, but would have office visit charges of $35 per visit. Lab tests, x-rays, prescriptions, allergy injections, and other services are offered to all students at reasonable prices.
Students enrolled in the previous semester can receive care during the periods between academic semesters without the $35 office-visit fee for seeing a physician or nurse.
- For example, students enrolled in the spring semester will not have to pay an office visit charge during the time after the spring semester ends and before summer I begins.
Students not currently enrolled may use the Student Health Center for one long semester after their last semester enrolled at Texas State.
- For example, students enrolled in the spring semester who graduate or do not take summer classes may use the Student Health Center for the entire summer. Office visit charges of $35 per visit will apply.
- At the end of this grace semester, the physician-patient relationship is terminated as well as access to all other services. It is the responsibility of the patient to arrange for transfer of care to another physician by the end of this extra semester.
Student Eligibility Chart:
|Last Semester Enrolled
||Eligible for services
||Eligible for services, but must pay office visit charge of $35 per visit
||Aug. 18, 2012 - Jan. 11, 2013
||Jan 14, 2013 - May 31, 2013
||Jan. 8, 2013 - May 31, 2013
||June 3, 2013 - Aug. 23, 2013
|| May 30, 2013 - Aug. 23, 2013
|| Aug 26, 2013 - Jan 10, 2014
||Aug 17, 2013 - Jan. 10, 2014
||Jan. 13, 2014 - May 30, 2014
Faculty and Staff
- Texas State faculty and staff are eligible for a limited number of services which include flu shots, cholesterol testing, diabetes screening, TB skin tests, tetanus shots and some immunizations. For questions please call 512.245.2161.
Texas State-sponsored camps, programs and workshop participants
- Please call the Student Health Center at 512.245.2161 for questions about eligibility and cost of care.
Spouses, children and friends of Texas State students are not eligible for services at the Student Health Center.
What to Expect During Your Visit
When you visit the Student Health Center for your appointment, you will check in at one of the four computers in front of the reception desk.
- Follow the prompts by entering your Texas State student ID number.
- Watch for the confirmation of check-in at the computers before you leave the kiosk.
- After you receive the confirmation, have a seat in the lobby and wait for a nurse to call you.
- Please let the receptionist know if you are not called within 15 minutes of your appointment time.
Student Health Center Lobby
Once a nurse calls your name, you will be escorted to an exam room.
- The nurse will gather information such as weight, vital signs and reason for visit.
- A healthcare provider will be in shortly to examine you.
- You will be seen by either a physician, or a nurse practitioner.
| If needed, you will be sent to the lab for tests or to the x-ray room. |
- The provider will then explain the test/x-ray results with you and discuss a treatment plan. Charges will be discussed before any tests are ordered.
- Wait in the exam room until your nurse returns. She will give you check-out information, prescriptions and any special instructions.
State of the art on-site Digital Radiology
After your medical visit you will be directed to the lobby.
- Be prepared to show your Texas State Student ID.
- If you would like to use the Student Health Center Pharmacy, stop at the drop-off window.
- Most prescriptions will be ready in a few minutes.
- Go to the cashier for check-out. This is where your parking ticket will be validated for patient parking.
- If you need any over-the-counter medications, they can be purchased at the cashier's window.
Pharmacy and Cashier
Once you leave the Student Health Center, you will need your validated parking ticket to exit the patient parking lot.
- Use the "press for assistance" button to speak with a receptionist if you have any problems with the gate.
Free Patient Parking